People across the world at all ages can be seen
squatting low and deep. Small children, 2-4 years old, old people and everyone
in between. The key is to keep squatting. Once we stop squatting and we only
sit in a chair and we only move in one plane of movement, we start losing the
ability to squat properly.
Squatting is a fundamental exercise; you do it every
day. We sit in a chair, we get in and out of our car, go to the restroom, sit
down on the toilet. We squat all the time. By squatting properly, I mean my
rear end goes below my knees at the bottom, my chest is vertical, my torso is
vertical. As I stand up, I stand all the way up with my knees and my hips
completely open. This is a squat.
An air squat is simply a squat done without weight.
We can put weight on our back. We can put weight on our front. We can hold it
overhead. There are several different ways to affect a squat to make it harder
and more intense, but all of them have the same elements. My butt goes below my
knees, my chest is vertical, and I stand all the way up when I'm finished.
There could be a more nuanced conversation around squatting,
but the basics have been covered. Being strong in your squat is important to
your health span. It is how we get up and down!
If you're interested in learning how to build muscle
and strength (including squatting!), sign up for a free fitness assessment at
www.crossfitodyssey.com, or reach out to me directly, and let's get you started
on your journey to extraordinary.
John Mariotti
www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com
775-338-2412
No comments:
Post a Comment