The third pillar of health span is the relationship pillar. Having a strong and healthy relationship with myself is a great starting place. But it’s just a starting point. I need to have meaningful social interaction consistently.
When I think about this part of our lives I am reminded
of my Nana. When she retired her world began to close in. She spent more time
alone and in front of the television set and less and less time with people. It
didn’t take very many years until she was in the throes of the downward spiral
of dementia. I can’t help but think that if she had a strong social network her
downward trajectory may have been slower and less severe.
This morning while on our 3-mile ruck someone mentioned
that if you have 3 solid friends you are wealthy. It isn’t the number that is
important, it is the strength of the relationship. People I can call and talk
to, go to lunch with, watch a movie with, or share a meal with.
Another thought on this has to do with
multi-generational households and relationships. Living with and around people
who are younger and older than you are is good for you. The various and varied
outlooks on life forces your mind and emotional status to grow and accept other
outlooks.
What are you doing right now to cultivate and grow
healthy long-term relationships? Remember, the best time to plant a tree was 20
years ago. The second-best time is right now. Good, meaningful, long-lasting
relationships take time to blossom. Plant those relationship seeds now.
John Mariotti
www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com
775-338-2412

No comments:
Post a Comment