Friday, November 17, 2023

Sunday Story…What do I eat?



Someone asked me the other day…what do I eat every day? Honestly, I am loathe to answer this question. What I eat isn’t terribly helpful to you. Your diet and mine are highly individual pursuits. What works for me may not work for you at all and vice versa.

The most important part of any healthy eating plan is making sure you get enough protein (plus/minus 1 gram per pound of body weight). The second most important part is portion control. This means you must measure your food and accurately track your intake.

Here is my basic menu:

Breakfast…I usually wait at least 3 hours after rising to consume this. I use Cream of Buckwheat as I have found it to work best in my system. I add 1/2c egg whites, some raisins, and walnuts along with 1 tablespoon of nut butter.

I have 2 cups of coffee 90 minutes after rising and drink 16oz of water first thing in the morning.

1st lunch…3 or 4 oz protein plus 4 oz of rice (carbs).

2nd lunch…4-6 oz of protein plus 6 oz of potatoes (carbs).

Dinner…6 oz of protein plus 6-8 oz of carbs plus 2 cups of salad.

This is food prepared at home on Sunday. We get our beef from G-Bar Ranch by the quarter steer. Fish are always wild-caught. Chicken is organic. Free range(ish) eggs.

This is an approximate list. I have found over the years that this template works for me. Keep in mind that vegetables are free-range, in other words, eat them often and in quantity. Half your plate should be green and then 1/4 protein and 1/4 starch.

There you have it! I stay 80-90% compliant and if I venture off, I get back on as soon as possible. Remember don’t beat yourself up for eating something you really want. Enjoy every bite and then get back on the trail!

 

John Mariotti

www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com 

www.crossfitodyssey.com

775-338-2412

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment