Saturday, August 5, 2023

Sunday Story…2023 CrossFit Games Recap I


As usual, the CrossFit Games is quite an experience. If you ever get a chance to go, you won’t be sorry. Watching athletes perform at the highest level is always inspiring. Probably the most inspiring are the adaptive athletes. Watching someone do double unders with one arm better than I can do them with two is at the same time humbling and inspiring. Or one arm chest to bar pull-ups as I saw one woman doing in the warmup area. If you get a chance to see any of those performances, do it.

As a quick recap, I finished 9th this year. Honestly, it was a disappointing finish. I always want to finish on top. As usual, the workouts were creative (some anyway) and challenging. This year we knew the workouts on the Monday before we started. We didn’t necessarily have all the details, but we knew the basic layouts and the work expectations. In the past, we had to wait until the night before to get the next day’s workouts. As you may expect, however, the heart of the matter lies in the standards.

There were 2 new standards this year. First, on the kettlebell swings…arms had to be locked out at the elbows and the bell had to break the horizontal plane of your head when your legs and hips were open. The height wasn’t a problem but keeping the arms completely locked was a lot harder than you realize! Second, on the one-leg squats (formerly known as a pistol!) …we were required to do 5 on one leg before switching (we have always done them alternating previously) AND you could not allow your non-working foot to touch the ground or pass behind your standing leg. This was a serious challenge for me!

I will elaborate and elucidate on the whole experience in the coming weeks so stay tuned!

I will finish by saying…Full Effort is Full victory.

John Mariotti

www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com

www.crossfitodyssey.com

775-338-2412

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment