Saturday, September 3, 2022

Sunday Story…The Road

 



To the Games Part 10

Water is my element. I started competitively swimming at about age 5 and continued all through high school and even a year of club water polo in college. To say I’m comfortable in the water is an understatement. I have not looked forward to a workout as much as this one since the handstand walk in 2014. Spoiler alert…I won that one too. 

This workout is not about the swim though. It is really about the calories on the ski erg. If you fail to get the required calories, you are done. Go too fast on the swim and you may sink your ability to crank out the calories…especially in the later rounds. By the way this is true of many workouts with a “cardio” (row/run etc.) element sitting in front. You can lose the workout by going too fast, but you can’t win it in that element. I decide to turn down the heat a bit on the swim. It’s the right decision. 

I win every round on the swim. The flip turn makes all the difference in the world. It takes no extra effort but provides a decided advantage every time. Out of the pool hit the ski erg hard and catch my breath. Rinse and Repeat…the name is appropriate.

If you watched this workout, you know I was the only competitor to finish the 6th round (18 calories). In essence, I have won the workout. I can’t get any more points (100), there is no reward for getting more calories. All I need to do is jump in the water, swim leisurely for 50 yards, and pull the erg for a bit.

 Ellie and I discussed this exact scenario before we walked into the natatorium. Do you back off and rest? Do you stop? I made the decision to put my mark on this one. No backing off, no stopping, no coasting…I don’t quit when I am tired, I don’t quit when I am ahead…I quit when I am done. And I’m not done until all 8 rounds are completed to the best of my ability. My training, my pride, and most of all my father would never allow me to do anything less.

The announcers are stunned. If you listen to the commentary, you will hear their confusion. I am getting out of the water and attacking the ski erg. There is no slow down, no quit, just a Full effort. I finish with 108 calories, 100 points, and an event win. If nothing horrible happens in the last event I am assured of 2nd place.

Until next week…

John Mariotti

www.crossfitodyssey.com

www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com

775-338-2412

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment