It’s amazing how much “stuff” there is out there. Just the other day someone sent me a video of the man who just set the 5K running record (12:51 for 3.1 miles!) and then shortly after that I saw another video of a man doing a plank for over 8 hours. Of course, I got those because of my interest in human physical endeavors. But there is no way I could work my way through all the videos on YouTube about running or planking. It is just too much stuff, almost infinite.
This has always been true by the way. Thousands of years ago there was a lot of stuff too but we didn’t know it. The world has always been infinite compared to just one human person. There is no way for us to process all of it, there never has been. What we do is adjust our vision to see what we need to see in order to not be bored or overwhelmed. This adjustment takes place as needed if we are on our game.
Remember when you got your last new phone or computer? How hard it seemed? How you thought you would never “get” it? That feeling of overwhelm is so uncomfortable that all we want is to find firm footing on the subject. Eventually, that is just what happens. And it happens because we force it to happen. Living in a state of overwhelm is not only uncomfortable it isn’t productive, effective or efficient. So we find firm ground by ignoring enough things, by being intentionally and blissfully unaware of all the stuff that feels like quicksand.
There are things going on right now that are taking place without you or your input…a whole world of things if I had to be more accurate. There is no way for any of us to have an awareness of all the information. I am pretty sure I don’t know everything about my phone and I am happy about that.
The bottom line is this: find your firmament and do your thing. Don’t be overwhelmed! It’s a choice.
John Mariotti
www.crossfitodyssey.com
www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com
775-338-2412
Tuesday, February 25, 2020
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment