Not should.
Just because I can doesn’t mean I should. There are lots of things in the world I Can do. Every day I am presented with a myriad of choices of things I can do. Most of them, not only Can I do but I Should do. There are, however a bunch of them I Can do but absolutely Should NOT do!
How do you know what I should or should not do? What’s the mechanism for making sure I am doing what I Can and Should do?
You might start with the worst-case scenario. I can do X and the worst thing that might happen is Y. Y isn’t too bad, I can live with Y, it isn’t going to affect my day to day life too terribly much and probably isn’t going to happen anyway. On the other hand, if Y happens my life is going to change and not for the better. Easy decision there, right? Don’t do X if though you can!
I call this “doing the math.” When I sit down and figure out all the likely outcomes from any given activity I am in the process of deciding what I Should do. And if the math is in my favor then go ahead…you Can and you Should. If the math indicates the outcome might change your life unfavorably (the likelihood of death for instance), Don’t Do It!!! Doing the math is way cheaper than the alternative.
"Good judgment comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgment"
John Mariotti
www.crossfitodyssey.com
www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com
775-338-2412
Saturday, December 14, 2019
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment