Food, sleep, and now Recovery. These things create the base for our expanding and growing fitness. But what do I mean by recovery?
Recovery isn’t just sleep. Recovery isn’t exactly rest, either. Recovery is an active process of putting your body in the best possible state in order to return to its “ready” state. Every time I work out my body breaks down…depending on the workout the damage could be a lot but it is always something if I am really training (not exercising!). So I need to do what I can to return to the most optimum position I can for the next round.
Everything helps…a nap, a good night’s sleep, post workout nutrition, a proper cool-down (get on the bike for 10 minutes)…everything. When my work out is over I can throw my street clothes on and rush out the door or I can spend 15 minutes stretching, slow-moving, and rolling the body parts out that I just asked so much of. Maybe tomorrow I need to not be intense and just do a little lsd…long slow distance, designed to flush lactic acid and create some movement in my muscles. This kind of planned active recovery movement is super important to your health and longevity. There is a reason pro athletes don’t play at “game day intensity” every day. There is a reason for an “off-season.” Every body needs to recover from high intensity work.
What are you doing to recover? Plan it out and make it happen!
John Mariotti
www.crossfitodyssey.com
www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com
775-338-2412
Saturday, September 21, 2019
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment