Over 10 years ago Tom Callos challenged me and a number of participants of the Ultimate Black Belt Test to get in the best shape of our lives. This started a more focused fitness journey for me. Since that time I participated in Marathons, Ultra-marathons, Tough Mudders, BJJ tournaments, and started CrossFit.
The problem with getting in the best shape of your life is there is no objective measurement. What does that really mean? If you have never been in great shape it isn’t going to take much. If there isn’t a way to measure fitness how will you know? I decided to not just get in the best shape of my life but to be one of the fittest people on the planet.
Fitness is not about being the fastest or the strongest or running the furthest. Fitness may best be defined as: increased work capacity across broad time and modal domains (Glassman). In other words are you better today than you were yesterday? Is your fitness broad, general and inclusive?
Tomorrow night I leave for Madison Wisconsin to compete at the Reebok CrossFit Games for the title of Fittest on Earth (60+). This has been an amazing journey. I started competing in 2012, went to the games in 2014 (finished 6th) and this year I qualified 2nd. The fact is I am in the best shape of my life. I can lift more weight. I can do things I have never been able to do and I can do them faster and longer. I may not be as fast as I was when I was 18 or 20 but I am much fitter overall.
For information on how to watch the Reebok CrossFit games go here:
https://games.crossfit.com/article/how-watch-2017-games/games/2017
Games.crossfit.com and facebook are all great choices. CBS sports if you have it will offer over 40 hours of coverage. And there’s an app so you can follow your favorite athlete (me?!) and watch them when they perform!
Anyway…for those of you who have been following and supporting this journey…I thank you. If you haven’t yet…let’s get started!
And most of all…get up and get fit…your fitness journey starts with a decision to start moving. You never know where it may lead!
John Mariotti
www.crossfitodyssey.com
www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com
775-338-2412
PS. No story next week…I’m going to be a little busy!
Sunday, July 30, 2017
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment