Sunday, April 21, 2013

Sunday Story...Time Out

Not. There is no time out. The clock is relentless. It doesn’t stop, it doesn’t slow down, and it doesn’t rest. There is no respite from its continuing crawl.

You can be standing there, your tongue hanging out, every muscle on fire, and not another lift left in your bank and the clock is not going to stop and let you rest. This is reality. This is the truth of the matter. The clock never rests. It just keeps on ticking.

This is what makes what I (and so many others like me do)…there is no calling “time out”. The clock continues until it is done. Whether the time is done in 17 minutes, 7 minutes, or 70 minutes it is not going to stop for me. When we go the other way, in other word when I am doing x for time that timer doesn’t stop until I finish. It doesn’t stop when I am tired, it doesn’t stop when I fall down, it doesn’t stop because I fail, that timer goes until I finish. I don’t stop because I am tired, I stop because I am finished…I have completed the task set in front of me. There is no time out, no rest period, and no halftime break, there is only the task and the time set before me.

This is a microcosm of life. Your life is on a timer. Your life has no time out, no halftime show. The clock is running. It will stop when time is up. In the meantime you have the work, the task in front of you. Hurt? Tired? Sick? Beaten up? Feeling Defeated? No one loves you? I’m sorry but the clock is still running. The clock is an unforgiving task master.

You and I don’t know how much time is left on really big clock of your life. This, however, I will guarantee you…you got up this morning with 24 hours in front of you. Just like you did yesterday, and with a bit of grace the same as you will get tomorrow. That clock is going to run out later tonight. Are you going to finish? Or are you going to put up a DNF (did not finish) in today’s score card?

There are times when I am wheezing, out of breath, my breakfast in my throat, sweat rolling off my head and the last thing I want to do is one more and I look up at the horrible mistress, the Clock, and I won’t let her win. I am not going to stop before she rings the bell. I will until…
Maybe I should attack every day, every 24 hours that way, maybe even every 60 minutes, or 60 seconds. What would happen if I drove myself in life the way I drive myself in every workout? Would the result be a better, happier person? Would the result be an increase in income, an increase in productivity, an increase in happiness? I guess we won’t know until we give it a go and most of us never will. We aren’t willing to attack our day like this was the clock running on, like the sands in the hourglass were running out.

The sands are running out. Every day is one day closer to the bell sounding. What are you going to do about it today? Tomorrow? Next week? Next year? Don’t be so presumptuous as to think that clock is going to run forever. It isn’t and deep down you know it.

Reach down, do it right now and give it one more shot. Decide what you want your life to look like and get moving. Don’t let the clock own you.

No Time Outs.

Namaste
John
“Teaching Focus, Inspiring Transformation”
www.martialartsnevada.com

Follow me at:
Twitter --- http://m.twitter.com/jmariotti
FaceBook --- John Mariotti
Blog Spots…John Mariotti
http://sunday-stories.blogspot.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment