Sunday Story…The LetterThere is a letter you need to write. I don’t know who you need to write it to. I don’t know what the subject matter is and I don’t know why you need to write it. I just know you need to write that letter.
You have been sitting on something for quite some time now. I now I have been. Several some things to be exact. These are things that need to be released from your possession. These are things that people need to know, feelings you are harboring, resentments you have brewing, gratitudes that need to be shared.
No matter how old you are, there is a letter you need to write. And, if you are older, you may have lots of letters to write. Some of the people who you need to write to may be passed on, or out of your reach. This doesn’t matter; you still need to write the letter. You see writing the letter isn’t about the recipient it is about you, the writer. It is about you expressing and saying what you need to say and express.
You don’t have to send the letter. But maybe you should. Maybe someone is waiting to hear from you, needs to hear what you have to say, needs your gratitude, your forgiveness, your praise, your words of affirmation. It is up to you really but keep in mind that this letter carries a huge burden upon it.
You need to write from your heart, from the depths of your soul. You don’t need to be Shakespeare or Hemingway, you need to be honest, forthright, and passionate. The placement of your words only matters if you make it matter. What matters is the tone of your voice, what matters is the feeling your letters are carrying, what matters is that you write it.
Don’t worry about how it will be received, just write it. Don’t worry about the punctuation or the spelling (unless those things are important to you), just write it. Don’t worry that you aren’t going to do it right, just write it. Don’t worry about how it sounds or how the recipient will receive it, just write it.
Don’t wait. Tomorrow or next week or next year may be too late. We never know what the world may hold for any of us. If it needs to be said, it needs to be said now. It seems to me that one of the greatest tragedies in life may be not telling someone how much they are loved, or how important they are, or how much they have impacted your life. It feels like failing to say those things may be leaving a hole in two hearts, may be a crime against your soul’s evolution. Wouldn’t you want to know those things? I think so, I know I would.
There is a web site and a book…here is the link to the website: http://wouldhavesaid.com/ and the link to the book it there as well. Many of the letters are heart wrenching and moving. They are the inspiration for this post. I have many letters to write so perhaps I should provide you an example of my own…
I am not going to publicly name who this letter is for. The fact is I know he is a reader and I also know this is a letter I could write to many of my students…
Dear
We have been student/teacher for many years. I am writing this letter to tell you some things that I may not have been able to tell you in the day to day hustle and bustle of our lives. Over these years you have tried my patience, you have pushed every button you could find to push to provoke and nettle and needle me. You have even pushed some buttons I had no idea even existed for me.
Often it is said that the student is the teacher and not the other way around. In your case I have learned how to be more patient on the one hand and yet maintain high expectations. You have taught me to have fun even when there wasn’t much fun to be seen on the surface. On the other hand you have taught me that what I think is important may not always be the most important thing. You have helped to open my eyes to the struggles so many young people have in school, at home and just trying to grow up in today’s world. I am grateful for all that you have helped me learn and helped me grow. Because of you I am a better, more compassionate teacher.
I am sure you have felt that I was too hard on you, that I was expecting more than you could give. I did, do, and will continue to ride you (as we say) like a rented mule. You see I hate to see wasted potential. I hate to see gifts given wasted and squandered. I wonder if I didn’t waste and squander some of the ones I was given. I would hate for you to look back in 20 years and wonder why I didn’t ask more of you, expect more of you, and demand more of you. It isn’t in my job description to let you fail, slack off or just generally not live up to the tremendous potential I see ahead for your life. I am gladdened when I see your improvements in stepping into your gifts, skills and talents.
Mediocre should not be in your description. You are not average. You are not mac & cheese in a white box. I know this in my heart and I have tried to get you to see it. And every once in a while I think you do. You are an amazing and special human person. You have gifts, skills, talents, and leadership to offer the world. The world will be a smaller and less abundant place if you do not step into who you can be. I am looking forward to being part of that continuing journey.
Thank you for having the perseverance to continue on this journey. I know it has not all been a bed of roses for you. I know it has been hard. I also know you are about to explode into your power as a martial artist, a student and human being.
I am proud to have been your teacher over these last few years. I am prouder to have been your student.
With honor and respect,
John Mariotti
Namaste
John
“Teaching Focus, Inspiring Transformation”
www.martialartsnevada.com
Follow me at:
Twitter --- http://m.twitter.com/jmariotti
FaceBook --- John Mariotti
Blog Spots…John Mariotti
http://feel-good-friday.blogspot.com/
http://sunday-stories.blogspot.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment