Sunday Story…Happy New YearJanuary. Again. 2011. Who would have thought?
I was born the year before the old Soviet Russian Republic launched a thing called the sputnik into space and set off the race to the moon. Yes the moon. A dozen years later 2 men walked on the moon and returned to earth.
Today I have more computing power parked under my desk than there existed to put those two guys on the moon. But I am not pursuing anything so grand as manned lunar flights.
It is amazing to me when I think how far we have travelled in the last 50 years. Or even 100! 100 years ago flight was a novelty and a mystery.
The amount of knowledge is expanding exponentially. The speed in which the world appears to be changing is going faster and faster.
But are we changing? Are we evolving with the same rapidity that the knowledge base is expanding?
We know that eating sugar causes health problems galore from diabetes to obesity to cancer to?? Yet I talk everyday to people who ingest the equivalent of 64 teaspoons of sugar in the form of sodas and energy drinks.
We know that not exercising and moving our bodies will shorten our lives, reduce the quality of those years and create a host of problems. Yet most of us don’t bother to get off the couch and out into the world to move.
We know that being overweight will kill us before our time and that we will be uncomfortable throughout our lives both physically and psychologically yet we choose unhealthy food on a daily basis.
We know that stress is creating a huge hole in our lives, having us feel sad, depressed, and angry. Yet we don’t do the few things that would help lessen our stress on a daily basis. Things like meditation, prayer, exercise, proper diet, an attitude of gratitude, smiling.
So what good is all this knowledge doing us? To know and not to do is to not yet know.
I know what I should be eating but I don’t eat it.
I know I should be exercising but I don’t
I know I should be……but I don’t.
Why not? Why don’t you? You are a smart person. You want to be healthy and happy and fit. Yet you don’t do it. You say you want to but you really don’t want to. You really don’t want to put forth the effort that it is going to take.
Here is my guess…and that is all it is…a guess:
You do not have a compelling reason why you should. If you know you would drop dead form your next cigarette would you quit right now? If you knew that your next soda would land you in the hospital to be hooked up to some machine for the next 20 years or so would you drink it? I suspect some of you would. That you are so beaten up and so addicted to your habits that even if the consequences were death or a life sentence in a hospital you would still do it. These are fear based reasons…they work but are only sustainable for so long.
So why should you? What is your compelling, do or die reason? Don’t have one…do you? Because if you did your life would look so very different. Your life would look like a fairy tale…made up and ending exactly as you planned.
So how are you going to get that reason? What do you need to do, read, buy, or find to get you that one reason? Is it another book? Another electronic device? Another workshop or seminar? Is it me sitting behind this desk yelling at you to find your reason, to find your why, to find your place? What is it going to take?
Look deep inside my friends. Look way past all the trappings and accoutrements of this modern life…the computers, flat screens, game consoles, cell phones, cars, houses, jobs, or 401ks. Look deep into the scary place, that deep abyss of your heart and soul. There you will find your compelling reason. Somewhere deep inside of you is that purpose, the fire that will have you eat right, get fit, write that book, start that business, or just start loving yourself.
You buried the reason. You took it and covered it up in the expectations, in all the things you were “supposed’ to do, the things that were “next” in your life. All of those things are distractions. All of those things are diversionary tactics put in front of you to get you off track. And they worked. You are distracted and off track.
And the only way you are going to get back on track is to explore the depths of your burial ground. Where you put all those things that were scary and a little bit hard, the place you decided to hide you from yourself. Start digging, like a miner searching for gold, the explorer looking for the city of gold, the fountain of youth. It is there just waiting for you to find it.
It isn’t going to be easy. But once you have the reason, once you have the compelling why, you will have purpose. And once you have purpose you can get anything and everything you want or desire.
Believe It. Achieve It.
Namaste
John
“Teaching Focus, Inspiring Transformation”
www.martialartsnevada.com
Follow me at:
Twitter --- http://m.twitter.com/jmariotti
FaceBook --- John Mariotti
Blog Spots…John Mariotti
http://feel-good-friday.blogspot.com/
http://sunday-stories.blogspot.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment