Sunday Story…BirthdayTomorrow is my birthday. The day, that 54 years ago I came into the world this time. Yet in many ways, today is my birthday. And Tomorrow. And the day after and the day after that too. Each day is a gift that was never promised. You never know what may happen. An accident. Some circumstance of the juxtaposition of the wrong time and the wrong place that ends your time. Some freak of genetic predisposition. You just don’t know.
I am planning on living to 150. But that could easily change through no fault or effort of mine. At the same time I am planning and living for longevity, I am also planning and living like there is no promise of tomorrow. How can I do both things at once?
Present moment awareness. I am aware of the precious nature of this moment as I sit at the keyboard writing this to you. This is what I am meant to do right here and right now. In an hour or two I will be doing something else and that will be what I am supposed to be doing then. And while I am doing those things I am not planning, not doing anything else but that thing. This is both a hard concept and a hard practice. Too often we let our attention drift to the next thing or the thing we would rather be doing. So is what you are doing right now on purpose? And not just intentionally…you may be doing the thing you are doing intentionally but is it also part of your purpose, your mission, your reason for being here and now? And if not then why oh why are you doing it?
Even in those moment of doing nothing…sitting under a tree, meditating, or (heaven to forbid) watching some mindless drivel on the box…are you present to that very moment? And are you aware of how that is serving (or not) your purpose? Awareness is the first step.
We often become more aware of these moments on days like our birthday. Another year has passed and we get to look back and see what we did or didn’t do the things that were a joy and a blessing and the things that were not so hot. The things we did, the words we said, the thought we were thinking all go into a review of our year and we can decide to do better. Because we can always do better.
Action is the next step. If you are not aware right now of doing what you really want to do then why not? Maybe you don’t know what you really want to do. Maybe you are afraid to even admit that. Maybe you are afraid to really look deep and figure it out. Step back and do it. Then start taking action toward what it is that you really want to be doing. What your purpose is. Make a plan and start working the plan. Is what you are doing right now what you really want to do? For me, right now, this is what I want to be doing…writing this note to you. In the larger picture, writing every week is what I want to be doing. Teaching, leading, inspiring, and transforming are all what I want to be doing. I do them on purpose, with purpose, because of purpose.
Reflecting back on those things and celebrating what worked and what didn’t work. There were no failures unless I did not learn the lesson. That is true failure…not learning the lesson When something happens that I did not think was going to happen I need to get the lesson. I need to learn form that happening. At my birthday or at the end of the year or the quarter I can take the time and with full awareness look at the happening and discover the lessons and learn. Then I can take those lessons and create new plans, dreams, goals, and efforts.
Your passions may even change. I know mine have over the years. I can remember more than once thinking and saying THIS is what I was meant to do. And I really believed it at the time. At in that moment it was true. Now, I have a passion for gardening and giving food away. A passion for transforming lives in health, wealth and personal empowerment. This is what I am supposed to be doing right here and right now.
And transforming my own life. Living on purpose, with purpose, of purpose. To live a healthy and happy life of 150 years will take more than a little something. It will take embracing new ideas, and new mission. Healing the damage that has been done physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually. Repairing that damage and doing the hard work. Living in harmony. Not in balance but in harmony in a way that serves the purpose. 150 years is made up of many many days, hours, moments. And every moment is precious and singular. And each moment, when built upon the others makes a life.
Maybe you don’t want to be 150. Maybe you just want to have some harmony today. Maybe you want to have less pain and suffering today. Maybe you want to be present to the divinity of this moment. So what are you doing about it? Right now? What are you doing that will serves your purpose, on purpose? When you get up from reading this…what will you do that you really want to do? What will you do that will follow your passion. How will you make a difference today?
Live long and prosper. Plan on it. Plan for it. Live today like tomorrow wasn’t promised yet live today like there were 10,000 tomorrows and you want to be fully present and accounted for in each one.
Happy Birthday to you.
Namaste
John
“Teaching Focus, Inspiring Transformation”
www.martialartsnevada.com
Follow me at:
Twitter --- http://m.twitter.com/jmariotti
FaceBook --- John Mariotti
Blog Spots…John Mariotti
http://feel-good-friday.blogspot.com/
http://sunday-stories.blogspot.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment