Sunday Story…What You Really Really wantEverybody wants something. Else. More. Something. You, me, them…something. Might be more health, wealth, happiness, good looks, or a better body. If you really look deeply there is something you want.
Over the years I have come to the conclusion that you can get anything you want if you can do just a couple things.
First, you must know what it is that you want.
Second, you must believe that you deserve it.
Third, you must take action to get it.
I have gone to coaching classes, read books, talked to people who are more successful than me, and generally been on the hunt for whatever “it” is that I am looking for. And I have come to the conclusion that step one is actually the most difficult.
So I have done all the things that I was told to do. Write affirmations. Create a vision board. Be a positive thinker. Spend money I didn’t have on things I thought I wanted and then figure out how to pay for them doing the job I wanted to be more successful at. Go shopping for all the things on the board. There are so many strategies for the implementation and I did all of them I could find. Yet “it” still seemed to elude me.
I thought I knew what I wanted. Success as defined by our culture. Money, acknowledgement, house, car, blah, blah, blah. I believed I deserved all those things. I worked hard, really hard. I studied more, read more, and consulted more. I was in action all the time. Yet, I never really felt that I achieved my goals. That I just set them too high or that I just wasn’t good enough, or organized enough or something enough.
On Saturday I had an epiphany. I never really wanted those things. Not really. I thought I wanted them, I thought if I got them I would be happier, more fulfilled, and more successful. Because I didn’t really want them I never got them. And when I say want I mean really want. Down deep in your belly want. Want like you want your next breath want. The kind of want that burns a hole in your soul until you get whatever it is that you want. I didn’t have that. I thought I did but I didn’t. Not really.
Further I would postulate to you that what most people want is not money, power or other “things”. No, what most people want is the thing that gets them the other things. Did Bill Gates set out to be a billionaire or did he set out to create an operating system for computers? His fortune is a byproduct of being really good at what he set out to do. If I earn a million dollars a year is that the mission? If I get to drive a new BMW is that the mission? Maybe for someone else it may be the mission. But honestly that does not burn my soul in a way that has me hop out of bed in the middle of the night and work on a new and wild idea. Now, that isn’t to say I won’t cash the check or park the car in the garage. I will. But that just is not the thing that will run my motor into the red line.
So to return to the very first thing…knowing what it is that you want. That statement is just not quite correct. You must know, and when I say know, I mean you must know like you know your own name…that deeply and that intimately…what it is that fuels your passion. What it is that has you wake up in the middle of the night sweating and trembling because you have not achieved it yet. Or you have not begun to go down the path toward achieving it. Because hopefully it is a mission so big and so vast you will need a lifetime to fulfill it.
And when you figure out what that “it” is then you can fill in the blanks with the rest of the “stuff”. The trappings and the gravy that will make life easier or more fun. Because if I can be on the mission then the world, the universe will move and shift to help me get it done.
There is nothing more powerful than the human mind. And when that power is brought to bear in a single minded, laser beam sharp pursuit…Watch out! Things are going to get done.
As many of you know it is my mission to teach focus and inspire transformation. And it is working. But it is not big enough. It is not a goal that is big enough to truly inspire me to shift and transform my life again. And frankly that scares me. A lot.
There is something that is eating at the back of my brain. I am not quite sure what it is yet but it is there. I can feel it trying to get out, trying to worm its way up to the surface of my consciousness. Something that is going to require me to rip asunder all that I know and all that I am. And when I figure it out, then I will be, truly, a man on a mission.
I once heard it said that it is not a quest unless you might lose your life. Are there quests of this nature left in the world? There are but they are not the quests of yore. No, these modern quests will require us to discard and kill our consciousness we have been so comfortable with these years. And then we will construct anew from the ashes of the old.
Stay tuned. I am excited. How about you? Up for the quest for the Holy Grail? The grail that is everything that you should and could be. The grail that is your highest and your best?
Namaste
John
“Teaching Focus, Inspiring Transformation”
www.martialartsnevada.com
Follow me at:
Twitter --- http://m.twitter.com/jmariotti
FaceBook --- John Mariotti
Blog Spots…John Mariotti
http://feel-good-friday.blogspot.com/
http://sunday-stories.blogspot.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment