Sunday, February 14, 2010

Sunday Story...What, Me Worry

Sunday Story…What, Me Worry?

Worrying is a waste of time. I shouldn’t worry about the things I can do something about. I should just go out and do something about them. And if I worry about things I cannot do anything about it’s a waste of time and energy because I really can’t do anything to change them. This is a paraphrase of a quote by the Dalai Lama. I have to say he rarely looks worried.

I recently had a conversation with an old friend about business. As you might imagine a lot of the conversation revolved around the current economic “crisis”. This conversation seems to be taking place constantly around dinner tables, the TV news, and well, everywhere. We see businesses with long histories going out of business. People are juggling bills every month, trying to decide who gets paid this time. And everyone is wondering when it is all going to “turn around”.

I am not in charge of the economic policy in this country (or any other country). I can’t raise housing prices, I don’t determine who gets laid off and who doesn’t, and I certainly can’t make everything all better. But I can do a number of things. And so can you.

First and foremost, I can stop worrying about it and I can stop talking about the “crisis” in negative terms and in ways that indicate powerlessness. If I can’t change it, I shouldn’t worry about it, remember. I can, however, change my attitude about it. I can refuse to allow an unseen and unknown force to shape my life and my thoughts. I am in charge of my thoughts. I am in charge of words. I am in charge of my emotions.

Second, I can run my life in ways that empower me. I can make decisions based on reality not fear (False Evidence Appearing Real). I am going to face the challenges that this unseen force places in front of me with an attitude of joy and gratitude. We live in interesting times. We have seen things amazing, fantastic things. And we have seen horrible, cruel and frightful things. It is all exactly as it should be. It is all part of the lessons we are here to learn.

Third, and the most important, is my ability to control my future. When I control my thoughts and attitudes I am creating the future me today. Do I want the future me to be bummed out and depressed? Or do I want the me of tomorrow to be healthy happy, whole and in good humor? Who and what I want to be tomorrow is directly related to what I am thinking, doing, and reading today. If I want to be stronger tomorrow I must work out today. There is no other way. It is the same with my thoughts…if I want to be happier tomorrow I must shift my thought patterns to happiness today.

Fourth, I refuse to be dragged down into conversations about “how bad things are”. I refuse to read news stories about the “crisis”. When I get drawn into conversations around the topic, I get to gently shift the tone and tenor to one of a positive nature. To one of all the wonderful things I see people doing everyday…the generous and giving nature of my friends, family and community. I turn the point of view over to the side of what I can do instead of what can I do.

Fifth, I do the things that serve me and my goals. I keep my eyes focused on what the task at hand is and what the long term goal is. Complaining, whining and moaning are not on the list of things to do that will move my mission forward. Neither is worrying about things I can’t do anything about.

Misery loves company. It is easy to get together and commiserate about how bad things are, share all the hard luck stories that have crossed our paths, and to wallow around in self pity. Unfortunately you won’t get anywhere swimming in that pool of quicksand. It will just keep you stuck in a mire of depression, stinkin’ thinkin’ and inactivity. And that is probably the worst thing: the inactivity. Failure to act is a recipe for failure. You just can’t hit the ball if you don’t swing, it is not possible. Doing it poorly and unsuccessfully is better than not doing it at all.

If you are thinking about starting a new business do the research, make a plan and then go for it. I know a number of people who have done just that in the last few months. They are operating lean and mean and turning a profit right out of the gate. You can too. If you need more education, go get it…even if it means listening to books on tape as you travel. If you need a new job get out there and set that as a priority…if you don’t you will be in the same boat a year from as you are in now---so why not give it a shot.

In many ways this is like a turtle. If he gets scared he pulls his head and legs into his shell and no one can hurt him (he thinks). But he also can’t see when danger has passed. He has no idea of the conditions around him…he is just hiding in his shell consoled by his fear. But behold…the turtle only goes anywhere when he sticks his neck out! Stop worrying and start acting…sooner not later.


Namaste
John
“Teaching Focus, Inspiring Transformation”
www.martialartsnevada.com

Follow me at:
Twitter --- http://m.twitter.com/jmariotti
FaceBook --- John Mariotti
Blog Spots…John Mariotti
http://feel-good-friday.blogspot.com/
http://sunday-stories.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment