Sunday Story…Dance Little Sister DanceI have a confession: I love to dance. In dance I find the divinity that lives inside of me. I often dance alone, by myself in the house or the studio. Some music will be playing and I will get up and start moving. And I have had transcendental experiences while dancing. The kind where you are no longer connected to your body and you are just moving the way the music and the energy pushes you. It was not always this way. For many years I lost that connection. I lost the cord that connected me to the divine and showed up through dance.
The connection started to break in High School. I was the crazy dancer. No one wanted to dance with me and I wasn’t aware that I could dance alone in public. People made fun of me. It got a little better as I got older but then, in my twenties, I stopped dancing. It was like a light went out. I still moved on the dance floor but the spark wasn’t there. The connection was broken, the line was down.
There was any number of reasons this happened. Part of me thought I had to “grow up” and be an “adult”. No one else was dancing like me…I had no way to know that the presence that moved me to movement was not human. But the primary reason it happened had nothing to do with the dancing itself.
You see, dance was just how the divine showed up in me. I had lost that connection. The connection to the flow, the chi, the life force that runs through the earth, the heavens, and each of us. I was no longer connected to the well of life. I was just going through the motions, doing what I thought was expected of me, raising my children, making a living, drinking too much, watching too much TV and eating food that barely nourished my body. I allowed some pre-conceived notions of what life should look like to dictate how I moved in the world.
When I started Martial Arts training the connection started to rebuild. It took years and years to rebuild the connection to my real self. The one that got buried by career, relationships, children and money. Inside every one of us is our true self. Our original face, the one we should be wearing. The one covered up by all the masks we have put on over the years. The process of taking off our masks is painful and dirty. It requires us to tear down some of the identities we have built up, to strip off layers of our skin. This is a painful process. And there is no easy way that I know of to do it. The alternative is much easier…go to the Doc, get some Paxil or Prozac or something and spend the next few years numbed out until you die, wondering why and what happened.
Once you get clear on who you are and who you are not it is much easier to rekindle the connection to the divine spark. Small children are automatically connected to the divine...they can do anything, be anyone. They still hear the voices that came before birth, the connections to soul. Ripping off our humanly imposed limitations allows the channels to get clear again. And then we can hear the voices as well.
The connection to the divine lives in each of us. And it shows up differently in each of us. Some of us write, dance, sculpt, paint, and dance. Look where you are creating things. Maybe in your garden? Maybe in your decorating? Look at where you find joy just in the doing in the creating, not necessarily in the accomplishing. Look at where you feel you are playing. The divine creates joy in the creation, in the being of the thing. When we are connected to this source we can begin to find it more and more often. The Tao, the path, the flow of the universe moves constantly. When we connect to the flow our being becomes harmonious with what we are doing. In other words, our doing becomes our being and our being becomes what we are doing. The difference between work and play disappears…I am doing precisely what I should be doing at any moment because I am being exactly who I am supposed to be.
When I finally found my original face I began to move again. Freely without concern for the opinions and approbation of others. A few years ago I began to write again. What you are reading right now is my original face…the spark of the divine burning within and shining outward. This face will continue to get brighter and brighter the more I stay in touch with it.
What does your original face look like? Have you seen it lately? Ever? Would you like too? Are you willing to do what it takes to rebuild your connection with the flow of the universe? For me the price of dis-connection was too high. The price of not dancing was the theft of my soul. I stole it from the world, from the divine and stashed it behind all my masks. Now, I dance because I must. I write because I must. For me. For the divine. For the world.
Care to dance?
Namaste
John
“Teaching Focus, Inspiring Transformation”
Follow me at:
Twitter --- http://m.twitter.com/jmariotti
FaceBook --- John Mariotti
Blog Spots…John Mariotti
http://feel-good-friday.blogspot.com/
http://sunday-stories.blogspot.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment